Ballston Lake, New York

The pilot light on our GE water heater, Model SG50T12AVH00, failed to stay lit.I found this out early on a Sunday morning with the temperature outside at 18 degrees.

Got the warranty paper off the top of the device, and called the toll-free number. Tough to understand the Asian operator, but I got the claim in. She said someone would call me in the next "day or two." I called again on Monday at 10AM. This operator said that they would attempt to find a service person in my area, and get back to me later.

I called a local plumber who charged $245 to replace the thermocouple. I have hot water, but no word from the warranty company. I realize now, that Home Depot had nothing to do with this warranty, except to have their name on the front. It is a 3rd party warranty.

Really NICE!!!

When I went back to Home Depot, to see if they had a local service guy who could help me, the plumbing manager tried to sell me a new water heater??!!I'm pretty sure that they have lost a customer.

This person wrote the review because of warranty issue of home depot warranty from Home Depot. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Home Depot to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

The most disappointing in user's experience was unwilling to fix problem and company response. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Home Depot for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Home Depot?

Comments

You don't say what warranty you are talking about, nor do you mention ho old the water heater is.The manufactures warranty usually covers the tank anywhere from 5-12 years but the other parts for 1 year.

Did you purchase a service plan?When you post give enough detail that others can understand what your real complaint is.

Iggyearl
to Anonymous Ballston Lake, New York, United States #931175

Sorry I wasn't more specific.The water heater was sold and installed by Home Depot in July of 2007.

It was manufactured by Rheem - for GE - in June 2007 at Montgomery, GA. The document I referred to was a "service contract" that begins 1 year after the purchase. It is with a company in Atlanta, GA that used a P.O. Box as an address.

The contract page is 8 1/2 x 14" with single spaced print that is 2 columns wide by the height of the sheet. My disappointment was regarding the lack of info that I could get from the operators and the vague nature of their committments. The statement, "We will try to find a service provider in your area, and get back to you - in a day or two," left me feeling lost. Especially this time of the year.

Additionally, I was annoyed that a Home Depot manager could solve my problem (no hot water) in less than a day if I was willing to buy a new water heater. To follow-up, I did get a call from a young man roughly 52 hours after my initial call to follow up. He asked if I had solved the problem, or if he should schedule an appointmtent.

I told him that the situation was handled.I'm not a person who would go 3 days without hot water in January.

to Iggyearl #931355

That's the unfortunate thing about the service plans offered by the big box stores. The administrators of the service plans don't always have service companies lined up in every area. When a claim is filed in an area they don't have a contract with a service shop they have to scramble to find someone who will work for the rates they pay leading to the delay you experienced.