For over a year I have been trying to post a negative review for Tarn-X tarnish remover. I have followed every guideline to the book. The two other reviews received five stars, I gave it one. You can see the effects of Tarn-X here: http://www.hermansilver.com/tarn-x.htm. This is what I wrote:
As a silver restoration and conservation specialist, I have many years of knowledge about chemical dips, especially Tarn-X. I routinely receive objects for refinishing due to damage from this horribly destructive product.
Tarn-X works by dissolving the tarnish (and silver!) on an object at an accelerated rate.
Tarn-X will quickly remove factory-applied patinas (if left in the solution for more than a few seconds) or gradually (if dipped quickly each time the object requires cleaning). You'll notice a soft white surface develop over time.
Tarn-X will quickly strip the shine from silver, leaving a dull, lifeless appearance.
Tarn-X will cause pitting of the object's surface. These surface defects will act like a sponge and more readily absorb tarnish-producing gases and moisture. The object will eventually require professional polishing to restore the original finish.
Tarn-X is made up of acidified thiourea (a known carcinogen). Acids are corrosive and will damage silver, niello, bronze, stainless steel knife blades, and organic materials such as wood and ivory.
Tarn-X, when used on objects that have sealed components, such as candlesticks and trophies with hollow feet, or teapots with hollow handles, may leak into the cavity through small holes or imperfections in the joints. At this point, it becomes virtually impossible to wash the chemical out. If you're working on a baby cup with this type of rim, do you really want an infant drinking from it after using Tarn-X?
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Tarnish Remover
- Review category
- Supermarkets and Malls
You May Also Like
- "Home depot was hired to install their flooring Allure Vinyl by Trafficmaster, Made by Halstead. We did our whole brand new home in this floor 1400 sq ft, It is..."
- "If you are a single, female, inexperienced in the home remodel field, do not choose Home Depot for your remodel. After I paid almost $10,000 to them for a kitchen..."
- "Recently my committee for the event pictured approached home depot asking for there support; we were turned down cold. It's a shame that home depot would not support a worthy..."
- "I WAS TOLD THAT I NEEDED TO SEND THE GREEN DOT CARDS FROM WALMART,RITE AID ETC. EVERYONE SELLS THEM. I SENT THE SCAMMER THE $2000.00 THEY WANTED FOR A JEEP..."
- "We thought that the expensive leather construction was the way to go. On the left seat of the sofa, the thread wasn't pulled as tight as on the right seat. ..."
- "The counters at budget always try to upswell no matter what city I'm renting from and the answer is always no with exception of my last experience. The car was..."