PLEASE READ before considering Home Depot for flooring installation

I'd like to caution any fellow Home Depot customers having issues with flooring installation or considering Home Depot for flooring.My ordeal began in early December 2014 and resolved with a signed settlement with Home Depot in late January 2015.

Suffice to say I was lied to, dismissed several times, and treated unprofessionally by Home Depot staff and its contracted installation firm, USIG. Please, do your full due diligence before entering into a contract with this firm for flooring installation. I dealt with product quality issues, unreasonable delays, unfulfilled "pledges" re: installation finish times, unprofessional representatives at USIG, and a confirmed botched installation of subfloor materials that required a corporate Home Depot executive to dispatch a regional manager to my home. He confirmed in my presence that USIG had installed my flooring against proper procedures, that it needed to be ripped up and done over with new materials.

For the sake of brevity, I'll tell you that the problem required daily involvement (at times several hours) for nearly two months. In the end, Home Depot and I signed a "settlement" agreement that "refunded" my full purchase price plus allowed $2,000 additional. The settlement provided extra protection in the form of reinforced product and installation warranties. Unfortunately, a month after installation, I'm still having a floor dipping issue, despite USIG assuring me on installation day that the dip would "settle" with time (floor is click-lock installed over vapor barrier and floor muffler, above concrete slab).

Home Depot dispatched USIG; the representative did not follow up on his word and presented misleading/inaccurate guidance to me when visiting to examine the problem. Home Depot appears to have now removed itself from the equation. Fortunately, my agreement allows me to discuss my ordeal, as long as I disclose that Home Depot provided a financial settlement. Again, please beware of this firm if considering flooring installation.

Nice, friendly people, and very good at making the customer feel warm and fuzzy about signing an order contract. Once the baton is passed to USIG, however, watch out. Google USIG and learn about its convicted felon chief executive and hundreds of consumer complaints. Please, be very, very careful.

If you do go ahead with Home Depot, anyway, be ready to possibly fight a lengthy battle, and don't be afraid to raise it up the flagpole to corporate. Contact the Atlanta HQ executives and demand resolution to your satisfaction. Make them accountable; the more consumers bring these poor experiences to their attention, the more possibility there might be to Home Depot severing its relationship with USIG. What a disgraceful firm that is.

I've attached just a few photos to show the nature of my installation.

When Home Depot was reluctant to agree that the underlayment materials had been installed incorrectly, I personally found and contacted the senior vice president of the product manufacturer, sent him photos, and had him quickly confirm that the installation was fully botched. Once I presented that evidence to Home Depot, things started to move in a different direction, as I suggested fraud might be involved. The USIG technicians AND USIG senior managers were clueless about the product. One USIG manager even told a Home Depot service manager that he had "no idea how the underlayment was supposed to be installed." And he was the person who identified himself as "project manager" of my installation.

Folks, it's not worth it in the long run. Yes, I received money back, and the floor finally was finished, but I now have lingering installation concerns that Home Depot has passed over to USIG, and USIG claims the issues are "within reasonable acceptable standards" and do not merit fixing. Stick to Home Depot for your tools, lumber, lightbulbs, and maybe appliances.

Think twice and hard before venturing out with Home Depot installation services.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Flooring Installation
Review category
Household Services
review #607988

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Home Depot? Submit review ›
Helpful? 6 Yes 6 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 04, 2015 #967776 Martin, Tennessee

not even installed correctly , they stair stepped the floor lol . common mistake for a beginner .

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Home Depot. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Home Depot.
Filing a new complaint about