I'd like to caution any fellow Home Depot customers having issues with flooring installation or considering Home Depot for flooring.My ordeal began in early December 2014 and resolved with a signed settlement with Home Depot in late January 2015.
Suffice to say I was lied to, dismissed several times, and treated unprofessionally by Home Depot staff and its contracted installation firm, USIG. Please, do your full due diligence before entering into a contract with this firm for flooring installation. I dealt with product quality issues, unreasonable delays, unfulfilled "pledges" re: installation finish times, unprofessional representatives at USIG, and a confirmed botched installation of subfloor materials that required a corporate Home Depot executive to dispatch a regional manager to my home. He confirmed in my presence that USIG had installed my flooring against proper procedures, that it needed to be ripped up and done over with new materials.
For the sake of brevity, I'll tell you that the problem required daily involvement (at times several hours) for nearly two months. In the end, Home Depot and I signed a "settlement" agreement that "refunded" my full purchase price plus allowed $2,000 additional. The settlement provided extra protection in the form of reinforced product and installation warranties. Unfortunately, a month after installation, I'm still having a floor dipping issue, despite USIG assuring me on installation day that the dip would "settle" with time (floor is click-lock installed over vapor barrier and floor muffler, above concrete slab).
Home Depot dispatched USIG; the representative did not follow up on his word and presented misleading/inaccurate guidance to me when visiting to examine the problem. Home Depot appears to have now removed itself from the equation. Fortunately, my agreement allows me to discuss my ordeal, as long as I disclose that Home Depot provided a financial settlement. Again, please beware of this firm if considering flooring installation.
Nice, friendly people, and very good at making the customer feel warm and fuzzy about signing an order contract. Once the baton is passed to USIG, however, watch out. Google USIG and learn about its convicted felon chief executive and hundreds of consumer complaints. Please, be very, very careful.
If you do go ahead with Home Depot, anyway, be ready to possibly fight a lengthy battle, and don't be afraid to raise it up the flagpole to corporate. Contact the Atlanta HQ executives and demand resolution to your satisfaction. Make them accountable; the more consumers bring these poor experiences to their attention, the more possibility there might be to Home Depot severing its relationship with USIG. What a disgraceful firm that is.
I've attached just a few photos to show the nature of my installation.
When Home Depot was reluctant to agree that the underlayment materials had been installed incorrectly, I personally found and contacted the senior vice president of the product manufacturer, sent him photos, and had him quickly confirm that the installation was fully botched. Once I presented that evidence to Home Depot, things started to move in a different direction, as I suggested fraud might be involved. The USIG technicians AND USIG senior managers were clueless about the product. One USIG manager even told a Home Depot service manager that he had "no idea how the underlayment was supposed to be installed." And he was the person who identified himself as "project manager" of my installation.
Folks, it's not worth it in the long run. Yes, I received money back, and the floor finally was finished, but I now have lingering installation concerns that Home Depot has passed over to USIG, and USIG claims the issues are "within reasonable acceptable standards" and do not merit fixing. Stick to Home Depot for your tools, lumber, lightbulbs, and maybe appliances.
Think twice and hard before venturing out with Home Depot installation services.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
- Friendly personnel
- Friendly staff
What I disliked
- Poor knowledge of installation
- Usig as subcontractor
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Product or service
- Flooring Installation
- Review category
- Household Services
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Spent over $13,000 getting new windows, of coarse guaramyeed for life, will clean up, will be there for you...ALL LIES,,,they flew through this house, destrying anything in way, broke a..."
- "So today my husband and i go to the home depot on south shields blvd. In okc ok to pick up a few things as we do almost every day..."
- "I paid Home Depot $40,000 to redo the roof & skylights last summer & it has been a nightmare now for 8 months. Home Depot has not touched any of..."
- "The Phenix Mutual Fire Insurance Company will try to scam you on homeowners claims. On 11/6/12 I had a yard and shed fire. It took 2 weeks for them..."
- "Im very disappointed and upset... i went out in 26 degree snowy weather last night to pick up my online order to get home with 2 lg pizzas and parm bites.. ..."
- "My father was kind enough to give me a H&D fruit of the month gift, a pricey thing for 12 mos. I live where there is no home delivery of..."
- "I went on to order 2 pieces of pet fillable jewelry for my 2 kids. 1 boy 1 girl. I ordered this keychain for my son it was on sale..."
- "if this is how walmart ships items i will no longer buy from them and on top of it I was told since the items that I purchased were from..."