Home Depot - On my second fireplace heater and haven't owned one for a full week yet :(
On Dec 28, 2015 after about of month of searching, comparing, and agonizing over cost, my husband and I ordered the Home Decorators Collection Rosengrant in Black Distressed Finish.It came fast, received the email to come pick it up in store by Jan 5.
Got it home, spent 2 1/2, 3 hours putting it together and it was beautiful! It was only missing an L bracket, but since it was in the back I wasn't overly concerned with it. Three days later, it stopped working. The code flashing on the panel wasn't even in their manual.
Called the customer service number on the front of the manual and after explaining my problem, I was told that there was no tech support on the weekends but she would get a message to them and I would receive a phone call 24-48 hours starting that Monday. I then demanded to speak to a supervisor, and believed we had resolved the issue but settling on a new firebox insert to be sent. On Monday I got a called asking when a good time would be to pick up the fireplace! I wasn't very happy, but understanding that if I wanted to get a new one this probably had to happen.
Got a call on Tuesday from the supervisor in question, confirming that a replacement had been found (the item I order was out of stock online and back ordered until February) and that it would be delivered to my home free of charge, and that I should have it by the following week. On Thursday I received another call from a lady at the Customer Service Center, explaining that the original person I spoke to was ill, but here was my Estes pro track number. Great. See it was delivered on the 19th, emailed customer service to confirm it was actually in the store.
Got an email back stating that yes it was, just had to present the order number and my ID. Only problem here was I had no order number as one had not been provided. Called the customer service line at the end of the email, got a lady who ended up transferring me to the store in Lincoln, Nebraska and no where near my store in Great Falls, MT. Called back, ended up talking to someone else who informed me that my order had been refunded and there was no new order.
When I asked to speak to a supervisor or someone who knew what they were talking about she got defensive and kept on saying that her supervisor would tell me the same thing and she couldn't do anything with my case number. Hung up and called the Customer Service Center and got Yvonne, who actually did try and do everything she could before she Transferred me to Felicia, who told me that the item I wanted was on back order and she couldn't do anything until I paid for a new one! When I told her all I wanted was the order number for the one that was in store waiting for me, she kept repeating herself until she finally called my local store and spoke with a manager. Confirmed it was there, all I had to do was go pay for the new one and pick it up, which was totally going against the original argreement, and completely out of my way, but I wanted my fireplace, I didn't even care I had to put another one together.
Pick it up, the box is absolutely trashed at one end and a big gouge out of the side. I should have demanded that they open it, but I didn't think they wouldn't screw over a customer twice. Get it home, open the box and start taking out boxes. I notice that one of the drawers doesn't look right I go to touch it and it falls in my hand broken.
In shock, I started looking at the mantel more closely, finish was bubbled, one edge was completely bashed in, scratches everywhere....I was in tears when I called Customer service and told them what happened. John seemed to sympathize with what happened and willing to work with me. A new mantle piece could take 7-10 days, plus the two days to file a claim, same with a new drawer. I asked what happened to the fire place I already put together, could I have the mantle or the whole thing back?
He called the store, no they didn't have it, another entity handled the pick-up since it was an online order. But if I would keep it as-is they would offer me an in-store gift card for an uncertain amount. I said, okay, I'll accept that and a new drawer, all of a sudden he's not sure if he can get the mantel or the drawer. I said fine, I'm returning it, what are you going to do to make this right?
Basically, I would have to wait another week or two to get another fireplace. But oh, wait! I DON'T have to pay for them to pick it up. My husband went up there after he came home from work and found me crying in frustration, and they told him the same thing: Nothing we can do, refund and another wait if we chose to reorder.
No guarantee of a discount (a severe one I might add, due the the time and frustration), or a guarantee of blemish and glitch proof product, won't use another carrier, will not ship any faster. One, I understand. Two in a row??? Outrageous and no attempt to make things right without having to wait weeks.
For the price I was paying, that fireplace should have been pristine and worked forever with no problems and possibly got up and danced the hokie-pokie for entertainment once and awhile.
Seriously re-considering ever doing business with Home Depot again, while I watch the television from my desk, which I had to move out from my bedroom to kept the TV off of the floor because I had stupidly given the old TV stand away since we got a beautiful new one.:(
More Review Details
|Layout of Store|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
What I liked
- Supervisor at customer care
What I disliked
- Customer service line
- Customer service in-store
- Defective product
- Reason of review:
- Two fireplaces, same model. First defective, second damaged.
- Preferred solution:
- Severe price reduction, the company to check the item before it's shipped, and free shipping to my house that doesn't take 7-10 days.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Home Decorators Collection Rosengrant Media Fireplace
- Review category
- Supermarkets and Malls
You May Also Like
- "I had my entire home done in 3/4 in Jasson Brazillian cherry hardwood from Home Depot and my flooring is less than three years old and is uncleanable.I used Bona..."
- "We purchased an Anderson Patio door in 2011 which was installed during summer. The first winter we had ice forming inside the house. Pictures were taken and I contacted..."
- "I bought a RainSoft water softener after mailing in a water sample that I brought home from Home Depot. I wrote the check (see attachment), but the account is..."
- "I wrote previously about the lack of a quality assurance program at Thor resulting in poor craftsmanship. Notice he pictures below. This form of third world constructionist he last thing..."
- "There are no words to express how much I do not recommend to go with this service. They claim to save you money, but there is no goshdarn place to..."
- "This is our freezer which I go into about 3 times a day I can not get into it to preform my work properly in the bakery management has become..."
- "I ordered my brother a custom tshirt for his 60th birthday.His party is this weekend.I received the shirt but the image did not come out well.I contacted them and sent..."
- "I ordered a miu miu shoes online, they came the wrong size so I went to the store itself to exchange them...they did not have them in their inventory. So..."
- "On 14th November 2016 Elite Phones and Computers collected my Samsung Galaxy note 8 64g tablet by UPS. I was assured that they would be able to replace the motherboard..."