I was shopping at Home Depot in Marble Falls and a lady came up and asked me if I had ever thought of upgrading my kitchen. Before I knew it she had signed me up for a salesperson to come to my home and measure and give me a price on kitchen cabinet refacing.
So, this guy shows up and gives me an earfull of sales pitch for almost 2 hrs before I get the price. And what a price it was! He said that I have what he called "30ft of cabinets" and that the refacing plus the optional special dovetail? drawer boxes with the full extention drawer slides and the cherry shaker door style I picked would be nearly $13,000!!!
For replacing doors and drawer fronts and putting thin wood venir on the front of the cabinet frames!?! I did not know whether to laugh or cry! Then the salesman told me I didn't really have to have the better drawers and drawer slides and I could save almost $1,000. That was not much of a dent off of $12,900. Then the salesman lets me know that Home Depot had a sale on that would get me $1250 off on the deal. Nice, but still really, REALLY pricey! So then, he comes out with this "buy it RIGHT NOW and get ANOTHER 10% off!" By now, I am thinking that they just keep on giving discounts until you say OK. But I needed more information before spending around $10,000. After he pressed my to "buy it RIGHT NOW!" several times I finally got him out of the house.
This made me wonder what just replacing the whole cabinet set would cost. Back at the Home Depot store, I found out some pretty amazing and a little depressing things. First, if I replaced all my cabinets, I would have to replace my counter top which I had not planned to do. But here is the really WEIRD part. Replacing the cabinets with the same basic cherry door style in CraftMade cabinets, tearing out my old stuff, and installing the new stuff PLUS a new granite countertop (they have some "el cheapo" granite for $29/ft installed, but I liked one of the colors)after the in-store discounts WAS CHEAPER THAN THE REFACING PRICE!!! CHEAPER??? I about died right there! Not only that, but the NEW cabinets came with the dovetail drawer boxes and full extention glides PLUS cabinet door buffer thingys and the special cabinet for the sink was FREE! Plus the new cabinets have a LIFETIME WARRANTY and the refacing ones only a one year warranty!
I guess thats why one of the people I met at the store told me they dont put a "per foot price" on the doors on the refacing display because if the customers ever saw the actual pricing they would NEVER even have the guy over to the house! Neither would I!
Oh, one more thing. The refacing guy wanted to charge me over $300 for the installers trip expenses from San Antonio and another $350 for "Administrative" costs! The new cabinet deal had none of this ripoff extra charges.
I guess the bottom line is Home Depot cabinet refacing is OUTRAGEOULY high compared to just getting new cabinets and a new countertop. No wonder the guy kept on pressing me to "buy it now, buy it NOW, BUY IT NOW!"
Shame on them!
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Cabinet Refacing
- Review category
- Building Products
You May Also Like
- "...We purchased the tree pad and bag in case water should get spilled while watering it, (ironic) so we couldn't see that it was poolong up in the bag on..."
- "Don't hire homedepot for purchasing granite and installing granite.they use an outside company to do job and if they screw up they make you deal with the install co and..."
- "I went to Home Depot expecting a professional transaction along with professional installation. I went to the store and picked out doors that I needed to be installed, paid the..."
- "Iready is a website that is "educational" for children. Not true! This website is just an excuse to make money as the website is very glitchy and VERY poorly made!..."
- "Before I get into my review of my experience with Preview Models, I would first like to be one of the first to step out from behind the veil of..."
- "Big man Lane recliner, went to recline and spring busted flew across room and just missed my flat screen, & my big window. WG&R where I bought it will not..."
- "I called to get my mother's nail shop a cheaper electricity service. After being referred to Ambit, I thought to myself why not. They person I was referred to was..."
- "I bought a dress that looks NOTHING like the dress in the picture and it was missing the neck tie to even be able to wear it! Seller won't..."
- "I bought a bottle of the HEB thick and chunky, hot salsa. When I was eating it a 3-4 mm piece stuck to the roof of my mouth, but..."