Home Depot Cabinet Refacing Rip-off Pricing

1178 of 1481 Home Depot reviews

I was shopping at Home Depot in Marble Falls and a lady came up and asked me if I had ever thought of upgrading my kitchen. Before I knew it she had signed me up for a salesperson to come to my home and measure and give me a price on kitchen cabinet refacing.

So, this guy shows up and gives me an earfull of sales pitch for almost 2 hrs before I get the price. And what a price it was! He said that I have what he called "30ft of cabinets" and that the refacing plus the optional special dovetail? drawer boxes with the full extention drawer slides and the cherry shaker door style I picked would be nearly $13,000!!!

For replacing doors and drawer fronts and putting thin wood venir on the front of the cabinet frames!?! I did not know whether to laugh or cry! Then the salesman told me I didn't really have to have the better drawers and drawer slides and I could save almost $1,000. That was not much of a dent off of $12,900. Then the salesman lets me know that Home Depot had a sale on that would get me $1250 off on the deal. Nice, but still really, REALLY pricey! So then, he comes out with this "buy it RIGHT NOW and get ANOTHER 10% off!" By now, I am thinking that they just keep on giving discounts until you say OK. But I needed more information before spending around $10,000. After he pressed my to "buy it RIGHT NOW!" several times I finally got him out of the house.

This made me wonder what just replacing the whole cabinet set would cost. Back at the Home Depot store, I found out some pretty amazing and a little depressing things. First, if I replaced all my cabinets, I would have to replace my counter top which I had not planned to do. But here is the really WEIRD part. Replacing the cabinets with the same basic cherry door style in CraftMade cabinets, tearing out my old stuff, and installing the new stuff PLUS a new granite countertop (they have some "el cheapo" granite for $29/ft installed, but I liked one of the colors)after the in-store discounts WAS CHEAPER THAN THE REFACING PRICE!!! CHEAPER??? I about died right there! Not only that, but the NEW cabinets came with the dovetail drawer boxes and full extention glides PLUS cabinet door buffer thingys and the special cabinet for the sink was FREE! Plus the new cabinets have a LIFETIME WARRANTY and the refacing ones only a one year warranty!

I guess thats why one of the people I met at the store told me they dont put a "per foot price" on the doors on the refacing display because if the customers ever saw the actual pricing they would NEVER even have the guy over to the house! Neither would I!

Oh, one more thing. The refacing guy wanted to charge me over $300 for the installers trip expenses from San Antonio and another $350 for "Administrative" costs! The new cabinet deal had none of this ripoff extra charges.

I guess the bottom line is Home Depot cabinet refacing is OUTRAGEOULY high compared to just getting new cabinets and a new countertop. No wonder the guy kept on pressing me to "buy it now, buy it NOW, BUY IT NOW!"

Shame on them!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 109 Yes 109
1178 of 1481 Home Depot reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 16 #1271961 Longmeadow, Massachusetts, United States

We got a price pf $20,000 to have our cabinets refaced. When we told them it was too much they came up with a price of $15, 000 but the cabinets would be just flat panels which were horrible so we opted out. We went to homeadvisor.com and found someone who gave us a price of $9995 for high quality items. We got Quaker style door which were self closing, self closing drawers, two custom built cabinets and a custom built island. Our kitchen is beautiful, the contractor was very professional, clean and a true craftsman. Stay away from Lowe's or Home Depot. The will rob you blind.

Aug 26, 2016 #1204186 San Marcos, Texas, United States

You just saved me one phone call to schedule an estimate, a 2 hour aggressive sales pitch and thousands of dollars if I fell for the line of bull. Thanks!
I too want to avoid having to replace my beautiful quartz counter top. From what I hear, new cabinets can be installed IF you as the homeowner remove the counter top prior to the work and re-install it after the new cabinets are in. Too much liability in possibly breaking the quartz. I'm not equipped to do that uninstall/reinstall myself and the cost to have it done is probably - you guessed it --- the cost of a new counter top. They got us coming and going it would seem.

Aug 13, 2016 #1198500 Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States

My experience with the HD resufacing sales job was nearly identical but it was a woman sales scammer and a two hour sales job and a quickie, back of the envelope $27,000 pricetag ($26,000 if I bought it today.) This is for a small galley style kitchen in our winter (mobile home) in FL. just for contact veneer resurfacing, standard RTF door and drawer fronts (no drawer boxes) and composite counter tops.
I found out though it was an independent sales contractor selling for another contractor that actually did the work, based in another state. And even though the were not Home Depot employees, it's turned me off shopping at HD alltogether.
Needless to say I found much better options at a fraction of the price elsewhere.

Apr 13, 2016 #1143865

A nine step system and it is designed to make you say yes!

jre10467

Apr 13, 2016 #1143863 Lancaster, California, United States

I was a salesman and if you buy a kitchen cancel it! You are paying 10% to us and it is all subcontracted! Hire a different company tell them to go pound sand!

Apr 07, 2016 #1140958

I worked for that refacing company that Home Depot fronts for. The pitch is its Home depot and they stand behind this process and so on. Its a giant ripoff!!! On top of it all when a salesman does get a sale they nickel and dime the commissions. Horrible company and surprised Home Depot continues to operate with them.

Frankly speaking

Mar 24, 2016 #1133360 Walled Lake, Michigan, United States

They just quoted me nearly 15,000 bucks to refacing 34 ft of cabinets and new formic counter tops. I just about laughed in his face. That was after a $500 home show discount and 15% March sale discount.

Mar 12, 2016 #1126333

Agreed. We had similar experience. HD quoted $32k to reface and install a couple additional cabinets. We then had a cabinet maker come out (5star rating) quoted $8k less for all new cabinets. No refacing. I wish I could use HD cause I really like the rep but money is money other quote is all new materials instead of using our own

Feb 14, 2016 #1111894

OMG! Our experience has been and is still a nightmare. Nothing the salesman told us was true. The cost was a whooping $14,000. They installed shelves that fell the same day they were installed breaking our sink and all my grandmothers heirloom plates and china. I received multiple cuts cleaning up the mess, none of the shelves were attached to anything and brackets weren't in studs. All the cabinet doors were different heights, not in line with one another and there is no access the the cabinets because finger pulls are on top, not on sides. To make matters worse this whole ordeal was suppose to be finished before Christmas and didn't even start until late January and is still going on. The counter tops are installed and are cut so incorrect there is so much caulk between the counter top and the wall that it has collapsed and left a ditch between my wall and counter. To make matters worse, the custom cabinet was cut wrong, the drawer was cut wrong and the doors. I have so many issues with this job that I won't even complain about being forced to accept cabinet doors I did not order, sometimes we pick our battles. I wish I had never thought dealing with Home Depot would be better than having the work done by someone who gave a *** about the quality or price of the finished product, which I have doubts will ever be finished. Seriously contemplating letting the court system get us some type of satisfaction.

Feb 07, 2016 #1108137

I had the same story IN Poughkeepsie, NY. Guy came in and said that total refacing of 24 doors and 14 drawer will cost me around $15000. And 3-4 people will do this for 2 days. I kicked him out of the house together with his discounts, ordered online new doors and fronts for drawers and install everything on my own for the same 2 days. Total cost was about $2700.

Jan 14, 2016 #1094720

I can top that! We just got our first bid and from guess who?! Good old Home Depot. On the first visit the guy walked through asking what we wanted out of a kitchen etc for about 2 hours. He then said he would come back with a drawing and ideas/price on the next visit. After telling me we have a "JUMBO" kitchen (my kitchen is probably 12 x13) that we would be looking at over 100k to completely replace cabinets. He then said "BUT by refacing we could save you thousands" I thought to myself he better mean tens of thousands! His price was $42,400 to only reface our cabinets. That was no new counter, backsplash, or flooring. I literally laughed out loud and said we would have over 60k into our kitchen by the time we bought appliances, counter etc and it wouldn't even be a new kitchen!! I don't know what they are thinking over there but you would have to be crazy to agree to their pricing when local cabinet professionals can do it for 5-10k. DISAPPOINTED in Home Depot.

Nov 22, 2015 #1068137

FYI I refaced a complete kitchen in Cambridge, MA in 2010 for under 5K, using a private company specializing in cabinet refacing.

Feb 08, 2016 #1108681

who are they??/ Please email me
smulry123@verizon.net

Oct 23, 2015 #1052942

I just had the same experience with the Home Depot Cabinet refacing sales representative. He talked for two hours before giving me the price. He said it would be $10,000 - $15,000 for a 10' x 13' kitchen. He didn't want to leave without having me sign up. I want to check around. Thank you for posting your experience.

Sep 23, 2015 #1038176

That's because the refacing company is one that home depot bought out. You think it's home depot but not really!

Aug 24, 2015 #1024081

this is an old review but just noticed and had to comment
we are looking to redo our SMALL kitchen.
was at home depot and came across kitchen refacing guy, so figured what the heck cheaper than new supposedly,
our kitchen counter is 65"x25" rectangle
total of 4 cabinets, 2 under counter 2 above
straight forward and simple after going over everything refacing price was $8500!!!! for 4 cabinets and counter not even a backsplash after obvious no, guy found a $1000 discount coupon, still no, he found additional $500 so still $7000!!!! for comparison gut renovation of the 1 wall with new hardwood cabinets stained and finished by hand, and granite counter top was total of $4500 new hardwood cabinets cost $200-$400 each, granite counter top installed is $800 material cost for new cabinets is $800-$1600 plus counter how the heck do they justify $7000-$8500 for refacing? my neighbor who just had his kitchen redone with hardwood cabinets total cost was $4500 for about 12 linear feet of counter and cabinets also home depot does not allow negative reviews on its site

3 0 Reply
Mary

Apr 19, 2015 #973893 Ridge, New York, United States

Hmmm....I am confused. We just had a Home Depot sales person come and spend 2 no pressure hours with us. It turned out to be more than we thought so we are looking around, however... The salesman was NOT high pressure and indeed gave us some ideas to save money. One being look at the store for the counter top, unlike what one reviewer said.

CZ

Apr 17, 2015 #973194 New York, New York, United States

I made an appointment with Home Depot for a consultation regarding our kitchen cabinets. They didn't show up so I called and was told I hadn't confirmed my appointment. Of course, I had, so in the spirit of fixing their mistake we made another appointment, same day, but in the evening. An hour before they were supposed to show up I was called and told they couldn't come and I had to reschedule.
Very very unprofessional people and also rude. I would run in the other direction.

3 1 Reply
pickel

Mar 17, 2015 #959837

The price of just having the doors surface replaced is out of this world. I was very disapointed with the $9,200 price without taxes. Home Depot, shame on you.

3 0 Reply
pleased_with_myself

Feb 15, 2015 #946210

Refaced my cabinets with maple doors myself for $2000. Saved $9000 over home depot guy's high pressure sales quote. To top it all off he was trying to sell me cheap rtf doors. try kitchenreface.com. I ordered my doors and they arrived in exactly 3 weeks with no flaws and exactly as I had entered the measurements. The install was easy ...not difficult enough to pay anyone more than $500 for all the labor involved. Nothing personal but I feel home depot is fully aware that they rip people off. I am not pissed either. I would be however if I had fallen for the sales pitch

6 0 Reply

1-20 of 112 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Home Depot. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Home Depot.
Filing a new complaint about
×