3.0
Ease of Use
Layout of Store

Placed online order for landscaping materials.All products and quantity in stock at local store.

Received text notification of availability for pick up within a few hours. No truck rentals available on site that day as literally every one was being used by managerial staff. Waited two days to try again. Received phone message in the meantime requesting pickup or risk losing materials.

Truck rental available next morning. Arranged pick up. Added several more items to order and rented truck to begin loading additional items myself while waiting for staff to bring materials from my online order to truck. Waited.

Waited. Approached by staff who apologized and stated that "there's been some mixup, but we'll get your things together now". Waited. Waited.

Approached by same staff and a second with my materials on a forklift ready to load. He mentions that since I'll be traveling to a separate location to pick up additional items, he'll place these on one side of the truck rather than center them. This is how I found out that my order was not ready and the materials were not on site. I cancelled the online order for immediate refund, demanded refund for all additional materials I'd already loaded, and a full refund for the truck rental, including deposit.

I made this clear to the staff at the service desk/customer service and, without complaint or questions, the full refunds were underway. I additionally requested to speak with a manager on site who arrived momentarily. I asked for an explanation of how my order could have been tagged as compiled, ready from pickup, including follow up messages urging me to pick up soon or lose materials IF THEY WERE NEVER THERE? Manager offered no explanation and appeared to have very little familiarity with the process involved.

Everyone was polite, but no one was honest with me. There are several points along the way in which any informed member of the store's team could have given me an honest update on their sequence of blunders. Instead they collectively chose to allow me to wait in their rented truck while they collected bits of the order, knowing full well they would then be sending me to alternate sites for the remainder of my original order -- not asking me if this was acceptable. No one would admit to me that the order was not prepared as I was previously assured.

Worse, they were not willing to break this news until after loading, clearly banking on my not wanting to waste still more time with unloading. I lost the entire morning waiting on materials they knew were not there. No explanation, no real apology, and zero effort to compensate even minimally an an effort to keep a customer that shops at the store weekly for years. I could not be more disappointed with the lack of responsibility and professional courtesy on display.

Having had eerily similar issues with Home Depot's primary competition in Lowes, I've since enjoyed the convenience of this store's proximity to me. Now, I'm forced to regard both companies as equally inadequate. Today's lack of honesty and transparency on their part was a disgrace -- perhaps even criminal.

I regret needing to forgo the convenience and affordability of this store in favor of higher end specialty companies, but I will not give a dime back to Home Depot without a genuine effort to reconcile on their part.I obviously won't be holding my breath in anticipation of a HD rep attempting to make this right, but I'll leave the door open.

Had an Experience with Home Depot?

Comments

Perhaps you have learned a lesson here. Service comes with a price. If you want top notch service you will need to pay a higher price at a store that pays their staff better.