142 views
Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

2.1
Poster decreased review rating.

Home Depot Return Policy Complaint

02/26/2020

This is ridiculous, please read on, hopefully this doesn't happen to you. I no longer shop Home Depot as of today.

I recently made a purchase at a local Home Depot in Saint Petersburg Florida.

I went back to make a refund transaction on the same day, the plumbing supplies were not compatible with the new hot water heater. I was told by a returns employee that they could not issue me a return, I was declined because "The Home Depot" uses "The Retail Equation" (theretailequation.com) as a third party processor used to establish if a person can receive a refund on their purchases. They gave me a printout with the Home Depot logo, titled "RETURN DECLINED" There was no phone number on the receipt only a website to contact if I wanted to pursue a dispute of the decline of a return. I downloaded the form from https://returns.thd.theretailequation.com It was a 17 page list of returns I have made at "Home Depot" since November of 2011, almost 10 years of return records.

I am not a typical homeowner that visits Home Depot a few times a month, I am a Licensed Remodeling Contractor that visits the Home Depot almost every day; some days multiple visits not to mention the customer referrals I send them for substantial purchases of cabinets, countertops, appliances, flooring, plumbing fixtures, lighting etc. I was told I have to go through this dispute process to see if I will be granted a refund of $65.88. Last year I spent over $65000.00 at Pinellas County Home Depot locations. I have been given the reason for my being declined a refund is because I have had too many returns.

When I made the return I was told one reason I may have been declined is that the purchase was made with $29.92 of store credit and $35.96 cash. I don't care what the reasons are, they will cost Home Depot's bottom at least a little. I will do my future purchases at "LOWES" home improvement stores from here on. It's a matter of "Principle".

I will diligently pass on my experience to the masses. Please feel free to contact me @ suncoastremodeling@***.com if you have any questions or comments about my "Home Depot" experience.

Product or Service Mentioned: Home Depot Customer Care.

Preferred solution: There is no solution, I 've shopped Home Depot for my business materials for over 30 years and this action by Home Depot is inexcusable..

Location: 2300 22Nd Ave North, Saint Petersburg, FL 33713

Comments

Did that store credit come from a return made without a receipt? Stores are getting tougher on returns without receipts in order to discourage shoplifting.

Having worked at another home center I can tell you even the most frequent shoppers can be tempted to shoplift. We once caught one of our contractors who was a long time customer and made up a little over 5% of the stores annual sales ( his purchases were in the millions) throw some extra materials in the back of his cab while picking up other materials. When he was caught at the gate he felt he deserved a bonus due to the amount of materials he purchased.

He was banned from future entrance into the yard. So yes, even customer who spend a lot of money at a store are not exempt from scrutiny and having to follow store policies when it comes to theft prevention.

Home Depot Reviews