Home Depot Reviews

Show reviews that mention
service store customer service customer order home manager delivery people phone
Filter review

Home Depot:You Can Do it on your own cause we cant help

Im very surprised there is not more actual vendors that are listed here with consumer customer service complaints. Being a vendor I deal with Home Depot on a daily basis seven days a week. All day I sit on the phone attached to my ear calling different stores from all over including stores in AZ, and NV. But the bottom line is you still get the same overall feel from each one of them. Not only is it a feat in itself to actually get an operator who knows what there doing but its something entirely different to actually get lucky enough to reach the dept. you need. No matter how pleasant you are I simply cannot get a postive rise out of any employee. There attitude is that the customer or person whom is calling is a total bother to them. They keep you on hold for your dept. for very very long periods of time. Sometimes as long as 20 minutes or more and the operator never comes back to you to let you know the status. And finally when you do get an employee, they will rarely say "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon", let alone "Hello" or "Thank You For Your Call." Its almost as if they are simply robots who are programmed. They seem un supervised and non educated. Training has not been done by there managers or shift leads and more or less are there to fend for themselves. No communication among fellow employees. I try my best to not have this effect me or my daily routines but it gets harder every time. It leads me into the direction of saying "I quit!!" So I fully understand all the actual walk in customers and there complaints here. Its really not very surprising to say the least. I dont blame anyone who doesnt want to shop at a Home Depot any longer let alone to deal with with at all.

Yes, the cut back on the staffing has put more stress on the full time employees. It is up to the full timers to make the sales so that the part timers can get hours to work.

As far as YEP, being alone on the sales floor has its problems. You can have a local call coming in and another department (mostly cashiers) try to call you at the same time. If you don't answer the cashier (when you are on a local phone call with a customer) the head cashier will get on a walkie talkie and call and scream at you for not answering your phone (when you are still on the phone with a customer). Talk about a complete lack of respect for the sales associates on the floor. No wonder why Home Depot has a high turn over rate.

Employees in general are not assigned aisles. One exception in my store-hardware department. The employees are in charge of cleaning/facing all their aisles before they can leave at night. In my store, we didn't play games down the aisles. If we were lucky, two of us would be in the department. We would talk a little bit while we worked and helped the customers in our department. In the power hour (10:00am-2:00pm monday-friday,9:00am-5:00pm saturday-sunday) each employee was assigned to walk a certain part of the "race track" (around the main part of the floor). Carry a phone and a walkie talkie around with you at all times. Respond to the "call boxes" throughout the different departments. Seemed that all Home Depot is concerned about is getting more sells with less labor. The stores don't get it if you cut away hours, that the VOC will be lower and the cutomers will get mad easily. For that reason, my store made the mistake of getting rid of me, a person with knowledge in hardware and garden. Customers will learn that I don't work at Home Depot and stop shopping at that store location. Too Bad for Strain and his ill staff of assistant managers. Not to mention Susan, the big headed HRM in the district. She is full of poison for the employees. Who cares if she has a college degree. She doesn't know hardware and garden departments.

You vendors complain about things. Well, in garden department and several other departments, we were constantly having to drop pallets of your product for you. Didn't matter that if the department was busy or under staffed, you made us drop everything for you. Not to mention the messes that the vendors left in the departments. You made me clean up your mess when you left for the day leaving all your trash all over the place. If anything, you vendors should understand that we wre trying to sell your products to the customers. The MET team will take away many of your vendor jobs this next season. The manufactures are paying Home Depot to create a new team of employees to do the "vendors" job.

The vendor hit the nail on the head when they mentioned it's like they are left to fend for themselves,lack of training or no communication.

Fend for themselves describes it best.It's like someone is there because a computer says so and not a manager scheduling an employee because they are needed to wait on customers or stock and straighten shelves.

Went into our local Home Depot the other night I saw 3 guys playing football in the aisle.The aisles seemed straight and it wasn't busy IN THEIR SECTION but I don't if all 3 were even assigned to that section.

The original author also noted the lack of courtesy when talking on the phone.You don't have to grobble over every individual but just some basic minimal courtesy would be nice.

I agree. Working there is too difficult.

As a cashier, I am always calling other departments and stores for information and it takes forever to get what i need.

In my store and atleast a few other local stores it is the decline of staffing. less hours are being given and many are quitting, there are simply not enough people on the floor anymore.

View more comments (2)
Washington, District Of Columbia

Hurt at Home Depot

I got hurt at Home Depot in Florida Tyrone store I need to get a MRI on my shoulder it happend on 7/19/08 I have been to the ER 2 times and my Dr. 1 time I am in pain 24/7 my DR. thinks that I could have a rotator cuff injury or a dislocated shoulder. I can't get this done on my own because I do not have insurance or money to pay for the MRI. And I can't get anywhere with Home Depot I just sit at home in pain all day and all night. Have a prescription foe MRI but cant get without someway of payment.

Dear Consumer,

I am sorry to hear about your luck at The Home Depot. May I suggest contacting the law offices of Wilhe, Skrewem, and Howe.

They are well known for taking injury cases with little evidence and wrongfully suing innocent parties!

It sounds like they would be perfect for this situation! I hope this helps!

I was a customer at Home Depot I did not try to get something down of the shelf I was trying to read something on a box. There was a flat cart parked next to the shelf where I was looking at a box trying to read it so I put my right hand on it and leaned towards the box I was trying to read and the cart tipped down.

So I reached out with my left hand to get my balance on the pole next to me and the pole was a PVC pole (I didn't know that it was going to move or that it wasn't a soled or a stable pole)So then in a second I reached out with my right hand just in time for the cart handle to come back up and hit my hand,my arm was extended so it was like falling off a bike a bracing your self with your arm. I broke my humeral head and have a rotator cuff injury. Yes there was a employee standing there he ignored the hole thing. My boyfriend was standing there also he asked me if I was OK I said NO I HURT MY FLIPPEN ARM and I was crying.

So I walked about 4 feet away holding my arm and trying to stop crying. The Home Depot man that was talking to my boyfriend cut him short an walked away. I told my boyfriend just take me home. I went to the hospital about 2 hours later they said I had a sever sprained wrist and there is no broken bones and that I need to get a MRI because some brakes do not show up on x-rays.

Then I went to Home Depot first thing in the morning and filled out a accident report. They asked me why I didn't fill out a report when it happened and I told them I didn't think that I was hurt that bad(and my *** pride dinen't want anyone to see me crying) I am not out to get rich or anything I just want Home Depot to pay for my bills from the accident. I have fell,slipped and had things fall on me at stores before and not hurt real bad but this time I got hurt bad.

And I think it's Home Depot fault because the PVC pole that was there should have had some kind of warning on it red tape or caution tape or be sturdy or better yet not be there at all.

I was attached to the floor with 3 screws and about 6 inches round and 2 feet from the ceiling it was there to hold wires on the bottom of the pole was a electrical outlet box that was open and held almost closed with a zip tie. I found out when I went back the next day and could not believe that there is a line of them all the way across the store.

@PissedConsumer47062

Home Depots fault? Why didnt you move the cart out of the way, it has wheels. ***

Hey Barbara,

when you were hurt at the Home Depot, did you report it to a member of management or tell a employee? You should have filled out paper work for that accident.

If you didn't report the accident, you have nothing to go on. If you did report the accident, you have something going for you. It cost Home Depot $35,000 per accident in the store. They have a budget to deal with cases such as yours.

But, it boils down to this, if the accident wasn't reported within 24 hours of happening, you are plain out of luck. Try going to a "free clinic" in your area. Maybe some company will pay for your accident.

Next time, if you need help loading or getting down something too heavy for you, ask for help. That is why the employees are working there.

Sounds like you need a lawyer.

Curious,how did you get hurt or how is this Home Depot's problem.

Were you an employee or customer?A vendor?

View more comments (4)
Tampa, Florida

Home Depot

I bought the pergo floor and had them install it. In one year it lifted like Mt. Etna. I called they laughed and I,m screwed. Stay away from Home Shaft you.They told me to call pergo and pergo said to call home shaft me so i told them all to *** the big one...I hope to use the floor for a bonfire this fall and invite my neighbors..be careful what you buy. The warrenty says its good for 20years but in small print I guess that means if it stays in the package and does not get exposed to air or sunlight.

The only reason that your pergo floor should have come up is if you had a moisture problem. That is one of the only things their warrenty does not cover.

As for your installation it carries a 1 year warrenty and the board of contractors will warrenty it for 2 years. Call Home Depot and ask for an inspection if it is within the year if it is over that call pergo and ask for a vendor inspection have your purchasing info ready for them if you don't have it any more hd can pull it up through the purged order retreival system or customer care can get it for you.

Silverdale, Washington
Loss

Home Depot did not replace the washer my husdand is ill.

My husband has Alzheimer and in the 4th stage, he rarely leaves the bed for long period of time, he wares depends and we have to change and wash his clothes and bed linen often, that is why it is so important to have the washing machine replaced thru Home Depot/GE product. I have called Home Depot they told me to call GE, the repair person came out and said it was damaged when it was delivered back in March of this year. We have been going back and forth with this for a month. Help what can I do?

I'd see if you can GE to put that on the service reciept or perhaps they already did.That is that the damage was pre-existing or occured during shipping.

Can you take pictures?

It sounds time for the BBB or even possibly a lawyer.

Good Luck

*please post results

Contact your local newspaper or tv station and ask if thety have anyone on staff that could act as a consumer advocate. A story like yours might just touch a few hearts and they might go to bat for you.

A well placed call from a TV station reporter could do wonders because Home Depot will do whatever they can to avoid the bad press. Best of luck.

If calling the manager does not work just call he home depot customer care phone number not the store. When you do this the district manager sees this complaint and he gets involved. This will pretty much garrantee you that your issue gets resolved

On major appliances, the manufacturer is responsible since it is their warranty, not home depot's. If you purchased and extended service plan, it kicks in after the manufacturers warranty is up.

If it is within the time on the receipt, go in and talk with the store manager, not an asm, and they should help you out. Even if they told you it was shipped damaged, it is their product and you purchased this under their warranty.

Since, Home Depot sold a GE washer to you, they should be responsible.

Instead of returning or fixing the washer, exchange the broken washer with the same model of the washer you bought.

Dont spend any more money on Home Depot.

Go to the manager, instead of calling.

View more comments (4)
Rockville, Maryland
Home Depot Repair

If you think Home Depot sucks, you suck!

I have read some of the stories you have posted and they are all lies! I know there can be an employee whom is having a bad day. Or you don't understand the rules. Home Depot is one of the greatest retailers ever created. Take your complaints and shove them! I have never had a bad experience at any of their stores. I bet the people writing these reviews are Lowes employees themselves or terrorists trying to take over the country! Go back where you came from and leave this US born retailer alone! Go shop(or back to work) at Lowes you losers!

The rantings of a Jack-***!

Harold, Florida

Behr paint rebate--still waiting 2 years later

i used to shop at home depot all the time. 2 years ago, i painted my whole house with gallons and gallons of behr paint--good deal because of the rebates. what a rip off! then i find out from friends this happens routinely. rebates are DESIGNED so that you never GET the rebate. it's a carefully planned, deliberate ploy to rip off customers. i did everything BY the BOOK. didn't matter--i never got hundreds of dollars in rebates. I WILL NEVER set foot in a home depot again. And THEY think THEY ripped ME off. they lost a lot of business--from my family and all our friends. word of mouth counts.

I purchased two five gallon containers of paint on 5/25/12 and submitted paperwork for the rebait. To this date I have not received my rebait of $40.oo.

I sent an Email to you on Jul 7,2012 3:33:24 PM and got a reply from you (#6596-30****711-****) on 7/10/2012 1:34:37 PM Pacific daylight time which approved my rebate.

My tracking NBR is 52981****. Where is my rebait?

what a rip off. Maybe I'll just take the cans back.

They can keep them. Im so fed up with crooks.

Behr is expensive paint. Guess the more you pay, the more they think they are entitled to cheat you.

paid a lot of money did the whole thing perfect . behr said i did something wrong .

nope i didi not .

this is the first time i ever had any problems with any type of rebate . what a rip off shame on then home deopote and behr paint

There was an option on the BEHR rebate form to apply for the $5 rebate online. I did this and later received a note in the mail from BEHR saying that they would not honor it! I emailed them saying that I would never purchase BEHR products again.

you didn't mention in your complaint what steps you took to resolve your issue...just curious because you were really quick to get huffy puffy about it. believe it or not, the world is not out to get you. and im pretty sure people do not get paid to sit in a room and think of new ways to rip off consumers, as you obviously believe

For what its worth, I also bought Valspar paint at Lowes twice in the same time frame and received the rebate checks within 3 weeks.. still waiting on the Behr rebates..

:cry

As a previous BEHR employee, I feel the need to point out that the rebates for BEHR paint are handled by BEHR exclusively. If you have a trouble receiving your rebate, contact customer care.

The number is on the back of any BEHR product or you can contact your local HomeDepot for the information.

No one in this world is perfect. Sometimes all it takes is a one digit mistake for something to go wrong.

Rebates are still money in your pocket. Home Depot and their vendors coordinate these events carefully.

They don't take the hit at the register, because they will lose money at each transaction. They hope you either--forget, don't care, or don't follow the rules. In any event, one needs to protect themself.

Make copies of everything and follow up. If everyone was stiffed on rebates the Home Depot would be out of business.

While this does reflect poorly on Home Depot, it's actually Behr who's ripping you off. This happens all the time with mail-in rebates (at any retailer). That's why Home Depot is transitioning to immediate rebates at the register since they can't count on their vendors to do what's right by the customer.

A couple of times a year you see a story about rebate problems like this.

I hope you made copies of reciepts and have a copy of something advertising the rebates.I would send a letter to the corporate headquarters first.Shortly there after I would go to a regulating agency reporting the problem.Or get a lawyer.

Good Luck

View more comments (9)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Lied promised gift cert never delivered

system is $10,000.00 nasty secetary nasty co reporting them to home depo i call a and b in jaxinville at 904 268 **** and they are pure nasty broken promises bad service and over 10 times more money than any other filter system.they have promised to call and just lie.i don't understand the state of fla allowing them to cheat people with these charges.high pressure sales forces without concern for retired disable older people.i will every day report them to home depo and will picket home depo.i have applied for a pickiting permit

Is this for a water filtering system?

Was this about the installation of a new system or repair of an older system?

Was the certificate to make up for bad or no service?

Reston, Virginia

Company reduced Credit line with no reason.

Home Depot credit card company issued a card to me ( i requested ) . Credit limit was X . All payments made ahead of time and above minimums. Card is no where near Limit. was making on line payments as I always do, and noticed that limit had been reduced by more then half. NO NOTICE, NO REASON> I will probably cancel card and go apply at Lowes. I only keep it for emergency's. WHat they don't realize is when they reduce it, it changes the % of buy to open to buy and Credit bureaus look at that like I bought a bunch of stuff and ran the credit card to its max. Which isn't what happened at all.
Fort Collins, Colorado
I needed a new water heater to replace the one that went bad. While this is a job that I can do myself, in view of my busy schedule, I decided to go with Home Depot to get the unit installed. I went with a 50 gal electric heater priced at $349.00 and the installation...

Delivery charge? Installation of the valve would cost money, you can't say this only cost 10 or 15 dollars of you buy it yourself at HD or Lowes and the guy should just charge you 10 or 15 bucks.

HD is a business not a volunteer service. That's just my 2 cents

Aurora, Illinois
I was looking for a specific compressor that home depot usually stocks. I first looked at the home depot where I live in Cortlandt Manor and they were out of stock. I then called two other store and finally found out that the Yonkers home depot had four of the...

I have never seen a store like Home Depot where so many of their employees don't seem to care either way-they're just there.They neither hate or like the job.

When ever I go chasing stuff at a different store I always ask for a name so I know who said what and supposedly knows what's going on.

And the pricing error.In most states you have to give the customer the marked price.I've seen it happen first hand.Sometimes I think Home Depot is run like a franchise operation with a lot of small odd lots or merchandise.Perhaps why that is why they were so reluctant to give the signed price because the store and not Home Depot would eat the 20$.

New York, New York
Home Depot Manager
Loss

HomeDepot: "You can do it and we can help screw it up"

On June 24, 2008 I special ordered two types of tile which were recommended as a set from Home Depot. The employee struggled with the order, but after about 45-50 minutes he completed it. The order should not have taken more than a few minutes since I had all the measurements required. When I went to pay for the order I discovered the credit card account had been closed due to lack of activity. I reapplied, received a new number, paid the fee and went home to await my shipment. NEXT DAY AT HOME DEPOT: When faxing the order to the vendor it was discovered the employee entered incorrect information for one of the matching tiles. The item is sold by piece and not by square foot which I discovered on the day the tile arrived and was finally delivered. I was never informed of the change or the incorrect calculation. On the tile's near arrival day, July 8, I called the store to check on its progress. I was told the tile shipped on July 1 and was on a truck. The store's delivery dates were Mondays and Thursdays. I would receive a call when the tile arrived, but check the web site for status updates. The next day I discovered the tile had been moved to July 11 as the expected arrival date. I called the store and was assured it would arrive on that day. On July 10, I contacted the store to verify the tile's status and was told it was delivered to a store about 50 miles away. I was also informed that an employee had called me the day before to let me know of the shipping problem. As of yet, I had not received any phone calls or communication from the store, expect when I initiated it. The July 11 date passed and no word from Home Depot so I called them on the 12th. I discovered the tile was missing...it was on a truck...no one knew where the truck was...the order was cancelled...I had been informed of its late delivery a number of times...everything they told me was a lie. I called the "Customer Care" or perhaps it should be called "Let's pretend to make the Customer think we Care" line. I spoke with a gentleman who made me believe he was really involved and would have the store trace the tile and get back to me. Later that day I received a phone call from an employee who stated the tile would be delivered Monday night...they would deliver it to me without charge no later than Wednesday...they had no control over the shipping company...the tile was not delivered to another store...the original order was never cancelled...all of it was just more lies. YESTERDAY: July 15, 2008 I received a phone call stating the tile was in and ready to be delivered. I gave directions and waited for its arrival. When the truck backed up into the drive way I realized immediately that the amount I ordered was NOT what was being delivered. I spoke with the young woman making the delivery and showed her my invoice. She saw that I was short the necessary tile and calculated that it was short by 82.5 square feet. Needless to say: I waited hours at the store to check on the tile, never spoke to a manager until the final delivery was incorrect. I am waiting right now for them to pick up the tile and return it. I went to a local tile store and purchased higher quality, lower prices and quality service. I should have done that to begin with. Like others, I will never shop at Home Depot again.
Los Angeles, California
Loss

HomeDepot charges more in Canada for the same item

I went to buy a new wet/dry vac from the Home Depot. I was looking at the Ridgid WD1450 53L Wet/Dry Vac. The price at my local Home Depot is $149.00. I checked the price on the American HomeDepot.Com website for the exact same model number and found that the price was $99.00. This is a 50% difference. The Canadian dollar has been on par now for quite a long time and this kind of discrepancy should not still be in place. I am in Winnipeg so it is not like this is some remote far off location.

The reason for the price difference is that home depot includes shipping and handling in the store price, while that is not included in the online price until you are ready to checkout online.

Kelowna, British Columbia

Home depot poor service

I was told by home depot that my granite countertop was ready three weeks ago,yesterday july16,2008,home depot told us they would be here to install,we waited all day,they did not show up. now today we had to call the installers,only to find out they will not be here till monday.we have never been treated so poorly by any store before,we will never buy anything at home depot that has to be prepaid.I hope this will help other consumers to be aware of prepaying for anything at home depot. also everytime i called,they said they would return my call,but never did.

That's the biggest catch - the local Lowes uses the same contractors. Which means they are too busy or their attitude is where else are you going to go as the customer.

But contractor oversight is Home Depot's responsibility.

I would bring out a local code inspector to see if the work was done correctly. Too many official complaints and dings on their work might shape them up.

I Really regret purchasing & prepaying for countertops from Home Depot. Would have spent the extra money to go to Vangura or other granite specialists that meet with you, coordinate your contertop order, come out to prepare template, install and COMMUNICATE with you. My order was severely delayed and H Depot & their subcontractor, Continental Surfaces, Route 8, Pittsburgh, PA, kept pointing the finger at each other. The worst communication ever. The sub says they'll call you back and they don't. It was horrible service. Then the install - they damaged the counter during delivery and tried to force me to take the damaged product. I called H Depot to complain & they sent my call to their sub's proj coordinator- who tried to strong arm me into installing it!! I had to tell the installers there was no way I would allow them to install that piece in my home and I was rejecting it. The proj coord was a bully! Home Depot didn't want to deal with it at all!! And they are responsible for the subs they hire! The island piece they installed was polished poorly - the corners and edges are a mess. There is also white caulking & shims showing from underneath the countertop. The slab is bowed in the middle...the list goes on. I am planning to cancel the entire order, contact the BBB and order from a much more reputable granite company.

Home Depot & their subs need to remember that WE are the customer and we PAID them to service US!!! Not the other way around!!

Do NO BUY GRANITE FROM HOME DEPOT.

PS. Our local Lowe's uses the same subcontractors.

View more comments (1)
Toronto, Ontario
I bought a 5 gal. behr paint from Home Depot, for our company to do a job for a client. We finished up with the first 5 gal. and needed more stain so we went back to home Depot to get another 5 gal stain and when we looked at it with the paint department the girl said...

Too bad you weren't in Colorado near the Broomfield store. They would have taken care of you and made things right for you. Broomfield cares about the needs of the customer.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Home Depot Manager
On May 30, 2008 I went to Home Depot for carpet installation estimate. I was told that I have to pay $35 for measurement, I thought that was fair so I paid the $35. It took a week for the estimator to come and measure the house and a few more days to get the...

purchased carpet from home depot around early to mid november of 2008. They gauranteed an install before christmas day.

Gauranteed mind you! which they did not keep. I dont know what the gaurantee was, because I received nothing for the late install (had all kinds of family down for christmas) Then, when installed, did not have enough to finish job, then when finished, put the carpet on the riser in medium room on in the wrong direction, then had to have them come back out because it was coming loose in a week. Finally get every thing done sometime in january, after numerous phone calls, visits, retelling story to employee, after employee after employee.

Here we are now, a little over 2.5 years later, and in 3 of the rooms, I have the carpet forming humps in the middle of rooms. I called home depot and it was basically " to bad, so sad, have to deal with that carpet you have". Told me I could pay them to have someone come out and restretch carpet.

I Have a carpet in my main house that has been installed for 7 years with no problems, home depot installation doesnt even last 3 years. Trust me, They suck, their installers suck, the whole experience sucked, and I wish I would have went with a professional carpet company.

Wichita, Kansas