Rainsoft and Home Depot

Aug 09, 2012
review #337959

Last week I was with my son at the Kennesaw Home Depot store shopping for some items for my home. I was approached by a young blond named Sarah wearing an orange apron asking me about my water and do I use a purifier. I gave her my name, address, and phone number. Later that day, I was called on my phone to set up an appointment for an in home water test.

A couple of days later, a sales man shows up at my door. The sells man works for Rainsoft. He sets everything up with my tap water on one side of the counter and his filtered water on the other. He tried to show me how my water is hard and dirty. He would mix soap with the different water samples and shake the containers. His water would foam up and my tap water would not. He told me that the soap was busy cleaning the water and this is the reason for the lack of foam in my water. I researched the real reason for the lack of foam. It's due to the minerals in the water, not being dirty. I bought a GE profile refrigerator from the Woodstock Home depot a year ago. It has a water filter on it. Grant told me after three weeks, the water out of my refrigerator is dirtier than my tap water. He said it was because of bacteria build up. He went on to tell me I would save money on cleaning supplies because pure water is the best cleaning agent. He would clean one of my mirrors with his filtered water. Then move his fingers across it, showing me that it puts a protective covering on it, preventing smearing. Next test was water hardness test, in which my tap water tested hard. I have worked on the plumbing in my home. The pipes have been there for twenty five years. I bought a washer and drier from you and had to move the connections down to the basement. There was no build up in the pipes.

I was sold at first. I really did not know too much about water. Grant told me NASA and Starbucks uses there unit to clean their water. The price was $8000.00 with a five year supply of soap worth $8000.00. They installed the unit. It had big salt blocks in a container. I am glad I do not have high blood pressure.

Two days later, I began feeling buyer's remorse. I thought about all what just happened. I went to the Rainsoft place of operation. The first person I saw was Sarah. Yes, the same Sarah that works for you on the weekends and the one who took my name and number. I asked her, "I thought you worked at Home Depot." Sarah said in an uncomfortable voice, "I work there on the weekends." In my head I thought to myself, "This is just not ethical." During my visit at Rainsoft place of business, there were two sales people, at different times, trying to resell me on the water purifier. The pressure was intense in which they made me feel guilty for not keeping the water purifier. I had my common sense keeping me from giving in to this nonsense. Since three days have not passed yet, they had to remove the water purifier.

The next day the same guy who installed the water purifier showed up to remove it. He also tried to talk me into keeping the unit. He even went as low as to using biblical pestilent end times in revelations as a reason for keeping the unit. Fear is not a logical reason for buying anything.

Now, how do I feel about Home Depot after this event? I do not like how Rainsoft road into my home on top of Home Depot's coat tail. What I mean by this is the trust I had for you, was used in an attempted scam. The unit is not even NSF certified. I have bought several expensive things from a washer and dryer to a complete kitchen with all the appliances. I deserve to be treated better than this. I feel angry that Home Depots management agreed to let this go on in there store. Do you back this product up? Rainsoft said you did. If this is true, I feel the name Home Depot is nothing but a name to me now. To Home Depots management, to feel as I do, you should ask Rainsoft to test your own home water yourself. This may show how your customer's hard earned money is being taken. I got out before the three days was up, but many do not.

9474b96
Had an experience with Home Depot?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
John

Sep 04 Birmingham, Alabama

My family and I just experienced this same scenario in Alabama, via casual Home Depot visit, via very similar circumstances.
I financed via Rain Soft; however, I stopped the installation process the day after signing the service agreement due to not receiving any warranty/financial obligation paperwork from any point-of-contact.
They pushed hard but in the end I was glad that I did not go through with it; I feel bamboozled by Home Depot when all I wanted was a water test for my home (due to recent municpal water issues).
FYI - The callback from Home Depot (after the initial water test) only mentioned that my water was 'Ok' but would still need additional tests and they need someone to come out and visit.
When they came, I was walking upstairs in my home to find my wife standing there with a gentleman and all of his tools and beakers on my kitchen table. I knew I was duped into a sales call at that point. Shame on Home Depot and what they are doing.
Bad taste in my mouth to say the least. I want good water throughout my home but will find another avenue and company to obtain my goal. John

AlotaboutwateR77

Jul 12

Here is a few things to clear that up!!! First off Home Depot would only pick the very best water treatment company with the best certifications and warranty. Some dealerships don't operate the same as others. THEY DO HAVE CERTIFICATIONS ON ALL OF THEIR WATER AND AIR UNITS;
Certified DRINKING WATER TREATMENT UNITS
NSF/ANSI-53 Drinking Water Treatment Units, Health EffectsCommon water quality pollutants
etc etc etc.......
AND.....
WQA Gold Seal. This information is public records and all you have to do is look it up. I've included information below that EVERYONE should be aware of!!! It was all 100% the truth!!! Most consumers get their water from a public source of water or by buying bottled water. Common water pollutants may be found in both of these drinking water sources. Common water quality pollutants that affect the taste, color and odor of drinking water are chlorine, fluoride, lead, copper, aluminum and other metals. Older plumbing and septic systems can contribute to contaminants, as well as the increased use of chemical contaminants in factories and reliance on prescription drugs also pollutes our water supply. Heavy metals...According to the EPA, the biggest water pollutants are dirt, to which heavy metals and chemical emissions attach; bacteria from septic systems and agricultural operations; and nutrients from fertilizers and animal waste. So, how does hard water affect appliances? According to the WQA, it tends to leave deposits that can
... Show more

1 0 Reply
hellothere0036

Jun 15, 2013 Pensacola, Florida

Strange posting. She agrees to buy the water system, knew she had 3 days to cancel, however like some people she decides to change her mind 1/10 of a second later after the install, and then blames Home Depot & Rainsoft for her decision. Why is this Home Depot's fault & Rainsoft's fault? Illogical?

0 4 Reply
Home Depot Rainsoft

Oct 07, 2012

Home Depot recently contracted with Basement Technologies of Canton, MA to be the New England Distributor for the Rainsoft line of Water Purification systems...If you're foolish enough to pick up one of their "Free Water Test" kits and mail it in, you will be pursued relentlessly by telemarketers offering to have a "Technician" come into your home to perform a "free evaluation"...they test for hardness, chlorine, and perform a series of performance tests against their own conditioned water using a portable filtration system...then the fun begins...unless you physically remove them from your home they will not stop selling you on their $5000 glorified water softener...Of course we all know that the water sucks...if you want to do something about it here's what I suggest:
1) Test your own water...for $30 you can perform your own, more extensive, battery of tests and remain in control of the results
2) Educate yourself on the options...Know what water hardness is, and how to remove it, understand the pros and cons of Reverse Osmosis vs regular filtration
3) Look online for suitable solutions and be smart with financing...there are dozens of manufacturers that will sell direct to the public and most accept major credit cards, don't finance through Home Depot or BTI
In case you're wondering...yes, I am a former employee...I refused to enter people's homes under false pretenses, pretending that I was from the "City Water Dept." or some other BS story
... Show more

AlotaboutwateR77

Jul 12

Wow that's just a whole lot of talking from someone that doesn't know all the details. I love how people try to hurt a companies image when they don't even have all their ducks in a row. I'm someone that doesn't even work for any of the water treatment companies but I have to evaluate them all. There are lots of good systems out there but what you don't know is there is actually a lot that sets them apart from the rest and that DOES make them the best. I may evaluate water companies and I'm just guessing but I bet Home Depot can research a company more then I can. The best thing you can do is if you need something for your water quality, do your homework and verify everything through the company your working with their corp office. And if you want what a telemarketer is offering just tell them to put you on their "do not call list" and then it's illegal for them to call you back.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Home Depot.
Filing a new complaint about
×